Who are you?
As a successful candidate, you have thorough understanding of software architectures, cloud technologies and possess excellent programming skills. You are a driven team-player who has the ability to work independently. Furthermore, you love working in a small and tightly-knit office environment and enjoy the ability to interact with the researchers at the head office in the Netherlands.
As a software provider in the financial sector, we develop and host applications for end users ranging from financial institutions to private investors. Hence, privacy and performance is of great importance. Since our financial decision support systems can be both memory and computationally intensive, meeting service level agreements (SLAs) is challenging. The insatiable need for speed and user concurrency in our applications requires well designed and dynamically scalable solutions. In this R&D position, the candidate will investigate the suitability of state of the art cloud native technologies to improve our offerings. This class of technology can help to resolve two use cases at Ortec Finance which are described below:
Dynamic Scaling to meet SLAs
With the access to advanced mathematical models expanding from institutions further to individuals (e.g. robo-advice applications) there is an increasing demand for dynamic scalable hosting solutions. Currently we host compute intensive simulation models with user populations up to 500.000 users.
Nowadays cloud providers are servicing dynamic scaling needs for containerized applications in different flavors, from managed cluster services to serverless solutions. However, cloud deployments are not always feasible due to the confidentiality of the processed data. Therefore, we are interested in techniques like Google Anthos, Kubernetes, Azure ACI and AWS Fargate and their security and performance trade-offs for our application portfolio.
Large-scale Distributed Computing
Large-scale simulations are offloaded to a compute cluster in which the computational load is distributed among many servers. Current I/O bottlenecks restrict the applications scalability due to infrastructure limitations. On-demand isolated infrastructures in the cloud could pave the way to larger setups. Resolving large scale computing bottlenecks is of great importance when our clients are demanding larger, more detailed analyses of their risk and return trade-offs.
We strongly believe that hands-on prototyping these technologies on our existing applications will generate insights which aid shaping our technology strategy. Hence, the candidate should combine desk research with experimental implementations.
As a Cloud Native Engineer joining our group, you will be exposed to a wide range of research topics, please find a number of topics here below.
- Different application deployment methods; Serverless , Containers and VMs;
- Fintech SaaS applications;
- Cyber security;
- Container orchestration software;
- Distributed Computing and load balancing;
- Investigate feasibility of cloud native modules, and proposal of how this can be incorporated in existing application frameworks.
Education, Experience and Skills
- At least graduated with an engineering background;
- Advanced programming skills in one or more programming languages (e.g. Java, C#) is required and skills in quantitative languages like R and Python are preferred;
- Affinity with Finance and/or modeling is preferred;
- Enjoy working in a small office environment;
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Terms of employment
We offer you:
- A fixed Contract (full time);
- A challenging and rewarding role in an inspirational global business;
- Opportunities for personal and professional career development;
- A great working environment and excellent remuneration;
- The opportunity to be part of an industry leading global team, renowned for excellence;
- An opportunity for interaction with many business units including researchers, developers, sales as well as senior members of the firm.
About Ortec Finance
Since 1981 Ortec Finance has been successfully delivering technology and consultancy in the field of risk and return management, in the last decade increasingly on a global scale. Ortec Finance supports pension funds, insurers, asset managers, financial planners, housing associations and municipalities, among others, in making optimal financial decisions and monitoring the results thereof. We integrate our in-depth knowledge in our software models and combine these with professional consultancy services. Ortec Finance remains innovative due to its close ties with the academic world, supervisory agencies and professionals.
Our main offices are located in Amsterdam and Rotterdam, with international satellite offices in the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Canada and Hong Kong. We just recently opened our office in Hong Kong to support our growing client base in Asia. In Asia a number of large prestigious pension funds as Life Insurance Companies already uses our sophisticated software solutions and professional expertise.
More information is available at www.ortecfinance.com
More information or to apply?
For more information regarding this position please contact Marco Hoogendijk at +852 24 77 98 38 or Marco.Hoogendijk@ortec-finance.com. To apply, please use the application button to send us your CV and cover letter.
We hope to meet you soon!