Are you a technical expert in data engineering and do you like to be an authority on modern quality standards within an organization? Are you someone with a DIY mentality who likes to have an impact on major architectural decisions and with a direct connection to the CTO? Are you enthusiastic to work with and motivate highly skilled tech leads in a cooperative and informal environment? Then a role of ‘Chapter Lead Data Management’ at Ortec Finance might be right for you.
What will you do as a Chapter Lead?
As Chapter lead you will play a central role within the organization to set and safeguard (technical) quality standards. You ‘build’ your chapter by appointing a Data Tech Lead within each software engineering team. Together with them and the Chapter leads ‘Enterprise Services’ and ‘Front End Development’, you make strategic plans and set quarterly goals for your Chapter. They can have a companywide scope, or be specific to a single Ortec Finance Solution. The plans are discussed with the Executive Team.
At Ortec Finance we believe a Chapter Lead is an expert role rather than a management role. So you will not have a responsibility as a line manager. You spend at least 60% of your time working on your Chapter projects and/or participating in engineering teams. The focus of this Chapter is on data modelling, storage and handling/interfacing.
- You actively monitor and research developments and trends around data policies, systems, tooling and standards, and you use this knowledge to improve the quality of the Ortec Finance solutions;
- You manage the company’s data technology stack(s) and have a leading role in the selection of tooling, components and frameworks;
- You have a vision on how data can be used to add value for our customers or our solutions;
- You actively coach your tech leads and help them to further develop their craftsmanship;
- You set and govern the Enterprise Tech Strategy together with Labs, OPS and other Chapters;
- You help with data related challenges and questions that appear in our solutions.
Typical questions and activities you will encounter in the engineering teams are:
- How to set up data architectures, construct and define logical models that represent the way our solutions works; how to translate these models into physical data structures and get it into production data;
- How to design Extract, Transform and Load steps to process data from various sources into business specific data models and data warehouse environments;
- How to define and implement interfaces (e.g. APIs) between systems;
- How to set up data pipelines for all kinds of calculation and reporting needs;
- How to analyze, improve and tune the performance of these data pipelines;
- How to set up different visualization tools that deliver the insights that our clients need.
This is what you contribute as a Chapter Lead
You are an ambitious, hands-on data expert that is driven by modern quality standards and architectural challenges. You like to work in teams and enjoy a ‘free’ role with a lot of responsibility. You inspire and coach engineers, while you are also able to convey (the impact of) technical concepts to business stakeholders.
We ask the following of you:
- Affinity with both finance and programming;
- Solid experience with modelling domains, database design and data analysis;
- Solid knowledge of SQL and relational database concepts;
- University degree in a software development or quantitative field, such as Business Analytics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or Engineering;
- Experience with ETL processes and tools;
- Experience with data integration and data pipelining;
- Good communications skills in English;
- A cooperative mindset and pro-active attitude;
- > 6 years of relevant work experience.
We consider the following a bonus:
- Experience with public clouds like Azure or AWS;
- Experience with non-RDBMS;
- Experience with BI platforms;
- Experience with data science and machine learning;
- Good communications skills in Dutch.
The vacancy offers more than just a challenge
We offer you a challenging and rewarding role in a growing company, while being part of an inspirational global business. A great working environment and opportunities for personal and professional career development. An active employee association that organizes various activities throughout the year and you will be part of an industry-leading global team, renowned for excellence!
You will earn a competitive salary, depending of course on your job and competency profile. In addition we offer you excellent benefits, including:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a fixed 13th month;
- participation in a bonus policy;
- participation in the pension scheme;
- 27 vacation days (based on a full-time contract);
- possibility to buy extra vacation days;
- working from the office in the center of Rotterdam;
- travel expenses compensation for your daily commute and business travel;
- working from home allowance;
- a work environment with enthusiastic and fun colleagues!
Who are we?
Working at Ortec Finance means working somewhere else. It means working in a world where colleagues meet, gather knowledge and where likeminded peers are always willing to help each other. Where the organizational culture is friendly, flat and non-political.
Working at Ortec Finance also means working in a continuously innovating world where science, academics and mathematics dominate, since models are key in helping Ortec Finance’ clients with complex financial decisions. Because that’s what we love: giving our clients the best advice possible. Where the daily job is very in-dept, based on evidence and relevant for society. It means a job that matters. Where the learning curve is steep; we learn something new every single day. And we need to, because continuously innovation is key. Especially in a fin tech world. We don’t necessarily follow all conventions. Because yes, we are a bit rebellious too.
Ortec Finance is the leading provider of technology and solutions for risk and return management. It is our purpose to enable people to manage the complexity of investment decisions. We do this through delivering leading technologies and solutions for investment decision-making to financial institutions around the world. Our strength lies in an effective combination of advanced models, innovative technology and in-depth market knowledge. More at www.ortecfinance.com.
More information or to apply?
For more information regarding this position please contact Maruska John, Recruitment Assistant at +31 10 700 5000. To apply, please use the application button to send us your CV and cover letter.
We hope to meet you soon!
- Experienced Professional